Required documents for Trade License registration

There are different requirements for EU Citizens, 3rd-Country Nationals and Czech citizens / People with a Permanent Residence Permit!

For EU Citizen or non-EU Citizen with EU spouse:

  • NO extract of foreign police clearance required if you can prove that you been resident in CZ for more than 3 months *
  • A Trade License can be registered before (or without) a (Temporary) Residence Permit. We recommend getting the Trade License first and then the temporary residence permit (not the other way around)

Note I: Proof in the form of a rental contract or residence permit.

BREXIT spoiler, UK citizen with or without EU spouse, with or without Temporary Residence Permit:

  • Police Clearance - required original paper document WITH apostille stamp unfortunately at the moment without exceptions (unless holder of a Permanent Residence Permit).

For UK, 3rd-Country National / non-EU Citizen:

  • extract of foreign police clearance required, WITH apostille stamp or super legalized, NOT older than 3 months. The 3 months starts counting from the day the police clearance was issued, not the date of apostille / superlegalization / translation*. Also do not bring a document that will expire in a few days - do not gamble on it still being valid during the registration process **,
  • you must apply for a Business Visa at an embassy outside of Czech Republic unless you already have a valid visa or residence permit (and the original purpose of stay remains valid). ***

Note I: We do not recommend having a translation made abroad - the translation needs to be made by a translator registered at the Czech court, else the trade license may refuse the translation. It is most likely also cheaper to have the translation done in Czech Republic instead of abroad.

Note II: US citizens can use an afidavit from the US embassy instead of a criminal extract for the trade license registration, other nationalities can not.

Note III For changing the purpose of stay from employment / student to business you must have lived in CZ for at least 5 years. However, it is possible to have a trade license next to your job as employee / being student (and in that case you do not have to change your purpose of stay)!

5 General Documents required:

  • Copy of passport + last visa or residence permit (if you have one)
  • your (former) address abroad (even if you do not live there anymore),
  • Permission of the landlord for registering the Trade License on that address - we provide a template
  • Proof of residence address in Czech Republic: rental contract, an original (or notarized copy) in Czech (not only in English) or extract of Katastr if you are owner. We need to show an original at the authorities, but leave a copy there, and the original we'll return to you.
  • Optional: a copy of the agreement for your CZK bank account. This account does not have to be a business account. If you do not have a bank account yet: after you get the trade license, it is easy to open one. Ask us for details, some Czech banks we really cannot recommend.

Especially For Czech Citizens and People with Trvaly Pobyt:

  • NO police clearance (Vypis z Rejstriku trestu) required
  • Copy of Obcanka / Pas, Rodne cislo
  • If you want to register your trade license on the address of your obcanka (your trvaly bydliste), you do not need permission of the landlord. For all other cases: have the landlord sign a permission - we provide a template
  • no former address abroad required
  • VERY IMPORTANT: the registration procedure for Czech Nationals is entirely different than for foreigners. Contact us for details, and a reduced registration fee.****

Note IV: Conditions - must have Obcanka and Rodne ciĂ­slo, and registered already in the tax / social / health system.

TL Cost Calculator /
TL Order Form